The history of the Lahr building, now the Lahr Apartments, dates back to 1831 when John Peterson and John McCormick laid the first building's foundation. The building was then purchased and converted it into Lafayette's first hotel called the Wabash House. A German immigrant, John Lahr, acquired the building in 1848 and effectively turned it into the Lahr Hotel. In 1861, Lahr invested $80,000 in building renovations, which transformed the building into a four-story hotel and expanded the occupancy to 100 hotel rooms. The building's current configuration dates back to Lahr's renovation. However, the building underwent another renovation in 1998 effectively turning Lahr Hotel into apartments.
Bistro 501's crew has turned this space into a gourmet deli and market with a full sandwich menu, coffee bar and local goods. The shelves are also stocked with basics, essentials, eco-friendly housewares, and Lafayette Farmer's Market vendor offerings. There is an Olive oil and vinegar tasting cove with zero waste options and a dedicated Gluten-free and vegan section.